Newton Hall Guest House
Shore Road, The Newton
Inveraray PA32 8UH
ACCOMMODATION IN INVERARAY, ARGYLL
Newton Hall Guest House is located on the A83 about a five minute walk from the Inveraray town centre going south. It is about half an hour drive from Lochgilphead and one hour from Oban. Glasgow is a comfortable one and a half hour drive away.
The Guest House is well positioned as a base for discovering many of the beautiful locations in the west of Scotland. Campbeltown and the Mull of Kintyre are to the south and Fort William and Glen Coe are to the north. Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are only a half hour drive with trips on the Loch a real treat.
Newton Hall is believed to have been built in 1895 as a church and then subsequently used as a Masonic Hall, with views across Loch Fyne towards Cruach nan Capull. This row of houses (The Newton) was once known as the Gallowgate. In the mid 1700's the many masons and labourers working on the Duke of Argyll's new castle were lodged here.
Inveraray itself was built on the site of an earlier fishing village by the 3rd Duke of Argyll. In the mid 1700's he demolished the old village in favour of a grand castle and embarked on one of the most ambitious rebuilding programmes ever seen in the Western Highlands. Plans for this new town were drawn up with the first house being built in 1753.
Over the next 23 years the town gradually took shape. In 1776 the last of the houses in the old town were demolished. The result is the classic 18th century planned village with straight wide streets and dignified Georgian homes which remain today and also Inveraray Castle, still home to the current Duke of Argyll and his family.